COLUMBUS, OH – The Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) is offering several hikes in June to highlight Ohio’s amazing trail system. From the hills of Appalachia, the river gorges of southern Ohio, the prairies of western Ohio and the coastline of Lake Erie, there are more than 1,000 miles of hiking trails to choose from to celebrate National Trails Day on the first Saturday of June and the rest of the month. Enjoy spending time outdoors and getting fit naturally during 2016.
- Rhino Rush 5K at Portage Lakes State Park – The Akron Zoo Chapter of Zoo Keepers is hosting this event on Saturday, June 4, for the conservation of rhinos in Kenya and Indonesia. Participants should meet at the Portage Lakes Shoreline Trail, Pheasant Run, High Point and Latham Lane areas. For more information, contact Matt Mills at 425-457-2982 or email email@example.com.
- 5K Run/Walk in the Park at East Harbor State Park – Enjoy the beautiful trail at East Harbor in an event co-sponsored by the Friends of East Harbor State Park and Firelands Area Runners. The event will be hosted on Sunday, June 5, from 8-11 a.m. Applications and more information can be found at firelandsarearunners.org. The cost will be $20 and will benefit the Friends of East Harbor State Park.
- Shrub Layer Hike at Rhododendron Cove State Nature Preserve – Learn more about native and non-native shrubs on Sunday, June 5, from 1-3 p.m. An off-trail component of this hike limits participation to 15 people on an RSVP basis. To register, call Boch Hollow State Nature Preserve at 740-380-8918 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. The terrain is hilly so bring drinking water, and wear sturdy footwear.
- National Trails Day at Mentor Marsh State Nature Preserve – Take part in the long-standing celebration of America’s magnificent trail system and its countless supporters and volunteers on Sunday, June 5, from 2-3:30 p.m. Help spruce up the 2-mile section of the Buckeye Trail. Tools will be provided, but participants wear sturdy footwear, and bring gloves. The event is co-sponsored by the Buckeye Trail Association. Participants can meet at the Nature Center. RSVP by calling 440-257-0777, email email@example.com or check out the nature preserve’s Facebook page.
- Hike at Kent Bog State Nature Preserve – This guided hike through Kent Bog State Nature Preserve will be held on Wednesday, June 8, from 3-4 p.m. Hikers should meet at the preserve parking lot. For more information, call 330-527-5118 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Plant Detectives Hike at Mentor Marsh State Nature Preserve – Ohioans will enjoy learning how to sharpen their plant identification skills, find out more about Project Budburst and discover out how to track the cycles of plants in their yards on Sunday, June 12, from 2-3:30 p.m. A hike will help participants practice newfound botany skills. Meet at the nature center. RSVP by calling 440-257-0777, email email@example.com or check out the nature preserve’s Facebook page.
- Showy Lady’s Slipper Hike (Registration Only) at Gott Fen State Nature Preserve – Join ODNR staff for a special opportunity to view the state-threatened lady’s slipper orchids on Saturday, June 18, from 10 a.m.-12 p.m. Space is limited and only available to the first 15 registrants. To register, contact Adam Wohlever at 330-527-5118.
- Play in Nature Hike at Mentor Marsh State Nature Preserve – Venture off trail and engage in spontaneous, hands-on exploration on Sunday, June 19, from 2-3:30 p.m. Meet at the nature center. RSVP by calling 440-257-0777, email firstname.lastname@example.org or check out the nature preserve’s Facebook page.
- Butterfly Count at Shawnee State Park – Gaze upon these winged beauties on Sunday, June 26, from 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Meet at the lodge parking lot for the North American Butterfly Association’s 24th annual count.
ODNR ensures a balance between wise use and protection of our natural resources for the benefit of all. Visit the ODNR website at ohiodnr.gov.